Parents' "Right to Know" Advisory
Under the federal No Child Left Behind legislation, parents are required to be given several official notifications:
1. Parents may request information regarding the qualifications of their child's Title I teachers and paraprofessional staff. Parents may request specific information as to the following: ("Title I" Teachers are those supported by Federal Tiltle I funds)
- whether the teacher has met State qualification and licensing criteria for the grade levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction;
- whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which State qualification or licensing criteria have been waived;
- the teacher's college major; whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject of the degrees; and
- if the child is provided services by any instructional aides or similar paraprofessionals and , if so, their qualification.
2. Section 9258 (a)(1) of the legislation requires that each school district receiving Title I funds under No Child Left Behind shall provide, on a request made by military recruiters or an institution of higher education, access to secondary school students' names, addresses, and telephone listings. A student or a parent may request that such information not be released without prior written parental consent. In order to make such a request, please contact the high school guidance office at 973-3311 for further information. If you do not wish to have your student's information released to the military or to colleges without your expressed permission, you must send a signed, written statement to that effect to the high school guidance office.